Basic Steps Dance Description
Due: Monday October 3, 2016
In Class Activity
- Select five different basic steps from the list presented in class.
- Decide how many repetitions for each basic step.
- Identify the number of counts you use to perform each basic step.(Count each time you place your foot on the floor as a count).
- Organize the basic steps into a sequence and create a Four-wall dance. A Four-wall dance means that the dance sequence is repeated once facing each of the four walls.
- Determine the total number of counts for the entire dance.
- Create a name for the dance.
- All dances will begin with feet parallel and the body facing front. This is center position.
- Take notes during class so you will be able to complete a written description of the dance.
- Each person will submit his or her own written dance description. Even though you are both creating the same dance, you each need to write up your own description. The two papers should not be exactly alike. Write your own version of the dance.
- You will have an opportunity to perform your dance in class for another set of partners.
Written Assignment Format (60 points)
- Name of Dance- Be creative think of a name that describes the style or meaning of your dance. Both partners should have the same name (3 points)
- Choreographers and Performers - Place your name first and your partner's second Use full names (3 points)
- Steps - (List the five steps and the direction of the step used in your dance such as forward, backward, left or right) (10 points)
- Total Counts - Identify the total number of counts for the entire dance (5 points)
- Dance Sequence Table - List the order of the steps, list each step separately, identify the direction and how many counts for each step . Identify which step changes the sequence to face another wall. Add arm movements to one of the five steps and identify which step. (24 points)
- You must use the table format for this section. 10 points will be deducted if you do not use a table.
- Step Descriptions: Provide a brief description of how to perform each step used in your dance. Use your own words for the description. (15 points). All steps for this dance will begin with the right foot. Make sure you add the arm movement description with the selected step.
Name of Dance: Moving Out
Choreographers and Performers: Elmo and Cookie Monster
Steps: Walk: Forward and Backward, Heel Touch :Forward Right and Left, Grapevine: Right and Left, Knee Bounce: In place, and Jump Pattern: Forward Backward, Apart, Together in place.
Total Counts Total Counts = 44 counts
Dance Sequence Table: List the steps in the order they are performed. Include the number of repetitions, the step name, the direction for each step and number of counts for each step.
Repetitions Step Direction Counts 1 Walk - 4 steps Forward 4 1 Walks 4 steps Backward 4 1 'Double Heel Touch with right foot Forward 2 1 Feet Together in place Center 2 1 Double Heel Touch with left foot Forward 2 1 Feet Together in place Center 2 4 Knee bounces 2 counts for each bounce In place 8 1 4 step grapevine Arms swing to the right and clap Right 4 1 4-step grapevine Arms swing to the left and clap Left 4 1 Walk - 4 steps Forward 4 1 Walk - 4 steps Backward 4 1 Jump Pattern Forward, Backward, Apart, Together 4 Wall Change Add turn to right on 4th jump, the open jump Repeat dance sequence facing each of the four walls
Step Descriptions: Use your own words. Do not copy from my sample for the descriptions. Exact words copied will not be accepted.
Walk Forward and Backward: Step forward beginning with the right foot and then alternate walking left, right, left. Step backward beginning with the right foot and then walk alternating left, right, left.
Heel Touch: Stand feet together in neutral position. Lightly tap the heel in front of the body and then return the foot to the side of the other foot. Repeat with each foot
Four-Step Grapevine to the right and left: Step on the right foot sideways to the right, cross the left foot behind the right, step on the right foot sideways to the right and step the left foot next to the right. Step on the left foot sideways to the left, cross the right foot behind the left, step on the left foot sideways to the left and step the right foot next to the left. One clap, hands together at chest height when the feet come together on count 4.
Knee Bounce: Standing in the neutral position, feet hip width apart, and lightly bend and straighten the knees.
Jump Pattern: Jump feet together forward, Jump feet together backward, Jump feet apart about shoulder width, Jump feet together.